
Investigations are underway to free the people trapped in the ruins of the bridge that collapsed in Patras. At the same time, at least one person has lost his life and 14 others were injured after part of a bridge collapsed in the Bozaitika region.
It all started when, as part of the controlled demolition of the bridge, a large part of it was detached, causing it to fall onto the road. The twin bridges were showing damage and structural adequacy problems, and rehabilitation works to repair two bridges over the Perimetriki began in 2021.
Four arrests
The police authorities of Patras have made four arrests. One of them is the operations manager and three machine operators. In fact, one operator is hospitalized after being injured during the collapse of the bridge.
The other two arrested are being held. Information indicates that at least one more person is being sought for arrest. This is the site manager.
Tselentis’ warning about the collapse of the bridge
Akis Tselentis, in a post he made on Facebook in 2019, emphasized the stability problems of the bridge. The seismologist and director of the Geodynamic Institute sounded the alarm about the fact that measures had to be taken as this particular bridge hid great dangers, with the seismologist questioning whether there had to be a victim in order for the competent authorities to be mobilized.
In his post, the seismologist comments on a specific point of the bridge, about which he typically says “If a piece falls on the head of a passing driver what will happen?”. The point that the director of the Geodynamic Institute had warned about is in the last tunnel of the perimeter bridge to Rio in the direction that goes out to the port.
“You could hear voices under the bridge”
According to the testimonies of eyewitnesses, voices could be heard under the bridge as it collapsed while a drone was also used in the investigations.
“I was saved by a miracle. I was down there too. I was in the corner and miraculously escaped,” said a Roma who was at the scene. At the scene, as he said, there were also several other Roma who were found dead under the rubble.
What was announced by the company that built the bridge
AVAX SA informs that today Sunday 23/7/23 at km 206 of the National Road Patras-Pyrgos it was carrying out planned bridge demolition work (direction toards Patras).
After the work was stopped and despite the traffic ban and the measures that had been taken, people not involved in the work were found on the site who were injured (one of them fatally) by parts of the bridge that collapsed.
The Company has been cooperating closely with the authorities in the investigation of the incident from the very beginning. AVAX SA expresses its deepest condolences to the relatives of the deceased and wishes a speedy recovery to the injured.
What the Ministry of Infrastructure announced
The Minister of Infrastructure and Transport Christos Staikouras and the Deputy Ministers Christina Alexopoulou and Nikos Tachiaos express their deep sorrow and their condolences, on the occasion of the accident that happened in Patras, but also their wishes for a speedy recovery to the wounded who are hospitalized.
From the first moments and without delay, the political leadership of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport did the following:
The Deputy Minister of Infrastructure and Transport, responsible for Transport, Christina Alexopoulou immediately went to the scene of the accident and participated in the meeting held at the Business Center.
The Deputy Minister of Infrastructure and Transport, responsible for Infrastructure, Nikos Tachiaos went immediately to Patras, where he had contacts with all the co-competent bodies.
Ms. Alexopoulou, in consultation with the Minister of Infrastructure and Transport, Christos Staikouras, contacted the Prosecutor’s Office.
The concessionaire company has been summoned so that its representatives can go immediately to Patras, where a meeting is held with the political leadership of the Ministry


Latest News

Cost of Living: Why Greece’s 3% Inflation Is Raising Alarm
Greece appears to be in a more difficult position when it comes to price hikes, just as we enter the era of Trump’s tariffs.

Fitch Ratings Upgrades the Four Greek Systemic Banks
NBG’s upgrade reflects the bank’s ongoing improvements in its credit profile, Fitch notes in its report, including strong profitability, a reduction in non-performing exposures (NPEs), and lower credit losses

Trump to Announce Sweeping New Tariffs Wednesday, Global Retaliation Expected
With Trump's announcement just hours away, markets, businesses, and foreign governments are bracing for the fallout of one of the most aggressive shifts in U.S. trade policy in decades.

Inflation in Greece at 3.1% in March, Eurostat Reports
Average inflation in the eurozone settled at 2.2%, compared to 2.3% in February

Greece’s Unemployment Rate Drops to 8.6% in February
Despite the overall decline, unemployment remains higher among women and young people.

Jerry Kalogiratos Highlights Key Role of Energy Transition and Data Demand in LNG Outlook
Energy transition and the prospects of LNG were discussed at Capital Link’s 19th Annual International Maritime Forum, during a panel discussion with Jerry Kalogiratos (Capital Clean Energy Carriers Corp.)

Santorini Safe and Ready for a Dynamic Tourism Season
Authenticity, cultural heritage, and genuine experiences at the center of Santorini's new promotional campaign

Electricity Bills: Greece Announces Reduced Tariffs Schedule
Greece will now offer lower electricity rates between 11:00-15:00 and 02:00-04:00

Chevron Confirms Eyeing Natural Gas Exploration South of Crete
Chevron recently declared its intent to explore a third area, south of the Peloponnese.

Evangelos Marinakis: A time of change from which shipping can benefit
Speaking at the 19th Annual Capital Link International Shipping Forum Evangelos Marinakis stressed the challenges that shipping faces today